2013年6月20日 星期四

Men can empty the washing machine

Six months after I went back to work after having my first baby, I hit a wall of complete exhaustion. 

She wasn't a sleeper. The days were as long and gruelling as my home and work to-do lists. I had breakfast at 5am, lunch at 9am, tea at 11am. 

Then I snaffled my way through biscuits and milky coffee until it began all over again. 

I was desperate to wake up less tired than when I went to bed. At work I was so busy trying to squeeze everything in before 6pm so I could race home for bathtime that I remember once holding a meeting with a colleague in the loo. True story.We have a wide selection of ledstrip to choose from for your storage needs. 

'I can't go on,' I wailed dramatically one evening as I unloaded the washing machine and de-flead the ancient cat. 

'I could help,' Mr Candy said quietly. And in that moment everything changed.Learn more about our high capacity antiquelampas today! 

I realised I had somehow programmed myself to believe that only mum could do bathtime, only mum could read stories, only mum could get the baby dressed. 

I thought those were my duties, that I was responsible for all things child-related. I aspired to a bizarre fantasy of the perfect working mum. 

But this was a decade ago - and she was the first of my four children. I hadn't yet realised that parenting should be shared, that I didn't have to do it all just because I was the one with ovaries. 

Fortunately, I had married the right man. He took over a portion of the parenting duties with gusto, and I stopped controlling everything. We learnt from each other. 

I mention this now because I took part in a mothering conference last weekend. They had read the column and thought I might have something useful to say in a debate on the debit/credit world of working motherhood. 

When we asked the audience for questions, a young woman who wanted to start her own business asked how to encourage her partner to help more so she would have time to do this. 

The audience murmured in agreement. I was surprised at this from a gathering of thirtysomethings.We makes possible ballasted washerextractor in Ontario just better than your imagination. 'I can't do it all,' she said. 'But I don't know how to make him help me more.' 

A decade ago, my husband didn't contribute as much as he does now because he thought I didn't want him to. And it was the Ice Age in equal parenting terms. But now he plays his part in the chore wars.The feeder is available on drying autoledbulbses equipped with folder only. 

I wouldn't say it's always 50/50 because there are some things that dads don't get right. I once came home from a working Saturday to find the children rummaging around in the fridge at 8pm because 'Dad forgot to give us tea'. 

He has no idea whose underwear belongs to whom and which teddies go on which bed, but this is just detail. 

Discipline might not be his thing but maths homework is. I am not allowed to stack the dishwasher. And we take turns organising time off to be home for sick little ones and daytime school activities.Men's t5tube are very sturdy and will stand the test of time. 

I don't consider myself lucky to have this help - I consider it mandatory. 

There are two people who earn a similar salary looking after four children in one house. A management consultant would look at this set-up and agree that workflow is only efficient if both adults contribute to childcare. There must be an app to prove this! 

To believe it is acceptable for just one of the duo to work and do all the childcare doesn't make sense. And it shouldn't be allowed in this day and age. 

I realise everyone's situation is different but both partners must have an equal say in how they want their family to work. 

Is the man who won't discuss or consider an equal partnership the right one? None of us needs to be as patient as Marge Simpson any more with reluctant husbands. No woman can do it all. Click on their website www.pvsolver.com for more information.

沒有留言:

張貼留言